Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ruth Challenge: Love over Law



I planned to start the Ruth Challenge Devotional Plan, which is a 4-day Devotional Plan from YouVersion Bible app (https://www.bible.com/)  3 days ago, but it was just today (which is actually Day 4 already) that I actually started reading on the plan itself as I also started some devotional plans for Lent.

Day # 4 (which is the last day of the plan actually) focused on the time when Boaz requested the presence of the elders and the next kin in line (“Guardian Redeemer”) who could redeem Elimelek’s land (Ruth 4:1-22). I noticed that at first when he discussed the matter to the guardian redeemer, the guardian redeemer gave a statement that he would buy the land (v. 4) but when Boaz said that he should also acquire Ruth along with the land, the guardian redeemer backed-out (v.6). Then in front of the elders/witnesses, Boaz came into an agreement and bought Elimelek’s land and took Ruth as his wife.

The devotion, narrates how the witnesses and the guardian redeemer represents the law and how Boaz’ love for Ruth represents God’s love for us. It only shows that the law or even ourselves can’t really save us. That we needed a Redeemer who no matter what the laws say, will redeem us because he loves us so much.

The devotion also highlighted this as well by quoting Galatians 3:24...”So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.”

I am glad, Jesus didn’t look at us under the Law (well, He is above the Law). Otherwise, we will all fall short into His Grace. Looking at the things I messed around, thoughts I harboured in my mind and the words that judged and hurt other people which came out through my mouth...well I don’t think the Law (following all the commandments) can blot them out of God’s sight. But Jesus did!

Laws are there to guide us but it cannot save us, even if we follow all of them flawlessly. We can’t even save ourselves. We don’t have the power or authority to do that. I myself is not even worthy to stand to God’s throne if I were to base it on my actions and thoughts. My obedience to the law still makes me fall short to His righteousness. Only God do have the power to save us from our sins and that is through His Son Jesus Christ. Wonderful isn’t it?!?

Looking at that perspective and having faith that Jesus had forgiven my sins and loves me no matter what I’ve done, removes my burden to compete for His love (what a relief!). That following His law is just an act of showing how much I appreciate and love Him back for saving me and to show others the joy of having Him [Jesus] in my life.
These are my thoughts...what’s yours?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment